What's Up (or Down?)
in New U.S. Homes?
These are just a few of the interesting findings from our most recent Annual Builder Practices Reports.
May 20, 2016
What's Up (or Down?) in New U.S. Homes?
Keeping up-to-date is critical in order to capitalize on trends and avoid being stung when your product category takes an unexpected dive. Data from our 2016 Builder Practices Reports shows some changes underway that you need to know.
A few examples include:
- Granite countertops are still at the top - in over half the homes built in 2015 - but quartz/engineered stone continues to grow rapidly and now has more than 9% of this market.
- Over the past five years, wood and plastic decking have represented about 60% and 40% of the new home market, respectively. Within the wood category, redwood has grown substantially while other untreated woods, like tropical hardwoods, have declined.
- PEX water piping is now in 63% of all new homes - a new high for this category. On the other hand, CPVC dominates the piping choice in new home sprinkler systems with 70% of that market.
- Huber Advantech® now represents more than a third of the OSB subflooring market. Weyerhaeuser EdgeGold is now at about a quarter of the market.
These are just a few of the interesting findings from our most recent Annual Builder Practices Reports. The reports cover building products used in residential new construction, and can be paired with our Consumer Practices Reports to give you a complete view of the residential construction market.
- Hardwood flooring continues to grow in popularity, now at 32%. Solid hardwood still dominates this category, but engineered hardwood now accounts for more than 40% of hardwood flooring installed in new homes.
Builder Practices Report categories include:
Appliances | Bathroom Accessories | Beams & Headers
Get the information you need to position your products in today's changing market - new reports are available for immediate delivery. Contact me for a sample report or to place your order. I look forward to talking with you.
Cabinets for Kitchen & Bath | Countertops | Deck & Porch Railings
Driveways | Ducts | Exterior Doors
Fencing & Landscape Walls | Finish Flooring | Fire Sprinklers
Home Standby Generators | House Wrap & Radiant Barriers
Insulation | Mechanical Ventilation | Patio Doors
Radiant Floor Heating | Roofing
Shutters & Exterior Ornamental Trim | Soffit & Fascia
Structural Systems - Floor, Roof & Wall | Underlayment | Windows
Director, Marketing Research Services
Home Innovation Research Labs
301.430.6305 | marketresearch-eh@HomeInnovation.com